Friday, June 27, 2008

Arequipa and Nazca, Peru









I am having a ball with my new friends. A lovely woman from Darby, England has become my best friend in South America. We´ve been traveling together for 4 days now, and we have 18 to go. Last night we took an overnight bus from Nazca to Arequipa.

Nazca was amazing. The beautiful patterns etched into the earth are a stunning mystery and I was surprised how clear they are from my vantage point in the sky. We flew a terrifying Cesna plane (i.e. my seat was not bolted to the floor...and it would rise into the air each time we hit turbulence) over the lines. Then we went to a lovely museum lecture about Maria Reiche and her adventures exploring the nature of the lines.


Peru’s second most important city after Lima, Arequipa maintains a traditional colonial style and more laid back pace in comparison with the capital. Sitting at 2325 m (7626 ft) above sea level and surrounded by the Andes mountains, this delightful colonial town is filled to the brim with trinkets and alpaca sweaters. Arequipa was built from a very light coloured volcanic rock called sillar, so older buildings dazzle in the sun, giving the city its nickname, “the White City.”

Today we woke up on the bus and immediately checked into a hotel for a shower. Then we ran to the Convent of Santa Catalina, a gorgeous building dripping with charm and antique finishings. It was a welcome respite from the outside world and a unique view into a by-gone way of life. We stopped for a capuccino in the courtyard before returning to the artisan market to buy more trinkets. Kiara, you´re going to love your present.


We stopped for lunch at a gorgeous place along the main square and my placemat, tempura shrimp on a white plate, looked so real that I took a picture of it with my beer. The photo in the placemat paled in comparison to the food we actually ate. Peruvian food is the best - finally a place where I can get the spicy food I crave so sincerely.
Dinner was a fantastic surprise! We went to the home of a local family and ate a traditional and special meal that cooked underground for 2 hours! This family explained the detailed process of digging a hole in the ground, laying down burning hot stones, then leaves, then meats, many varieties of potato, and vegetables. My friend gave them a heads up that I am a veggie so they added special fruits and veggies for me including a lovely spiced apple. I was deemed the godmother of the ceremony so you can see me offering coco leaves to the gods on top of the mountain of earth that completed the ceremonious oven.

Spectacular mountains surround Arequipa, the most famous of which is El Misti Volcano, at 5822 m (19096 ft) with its beautiful snow-capped peak. We´ve also been enchanted with nearby volcanoes Chachani and Pichu Pichu. Tomorrow we´re leaving Arequipa for a camping trip in Colca Canyon. Hopefully we´ll spot some condors.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sure Kiara will love her gift, however I don't see my name in the recipient list, no love for mama?

Unknown said...

Hi Mrs. P!