Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lima, Peru









Yesterday I left Quito and arrived in Peru. Lucky for me, June 24 is a holiday and today there will be a big festival in the streets. Known as the City of Kings, Peru’s capital city Lima was founded by Francisco Pizarro on the Day of the Three Kings (Epiphany) in 1535.

First I am going to visit the Plaza de Armas is the heart of old Lima, to see the Cathedral, Government Palace and Archbishop’s Palace. The Cathedral dates back to the 1700s and houses the remains of the conquistador Pizarro. I plan to watch the changing of the Palace Guard in the afternoon and then walk the streets surrounding the Jirón de la Unión to get a feel for their Spanish-colonial architecture. There are so many fine museums in and around the city, it will be hard for the art historian in me to decide on which to see. I think I will visit the Museo Rafael Larco Herrera, which houses an impressive collection of pottery, mummies and textiles from the Paracas and Nazca cultures. And of course I will be sure to try a ceviche, for which Lima is well known.

This afternoon I'm hopping on a bus for our short trip down the coast to Pisco. An important port town, Pisco gives its name to the white grape brandy produced in the region. Yes, of course, I won’t pass up this chance to sip on a tasty and frothy Pisco Sour. I will visit the Ballestas Islands to see more sea lion colonies, Humbodlt penguins and a variety of other birds. Tomorrow I will catch a bus south to Nazca. On the way I will pass by the colonial town of Ica. Ica is known for its huge sand dunes. In nearby Huacachina, there are a ton of sand dunes and am going to try a local past time: sandboarding. Apart from the dunes, Ica is famous for its wines and there are several wineries and distilleries in the area. (yes, of course I will visit just a few...)

On Thursday I am going to see the Nazca Lines. The lines consist of patterns and pictures etched in the ground, crisscrossing a wide area of flat desert. Some of the lines measure up to 32 miles in length, and yet remain perfectly straight. The depictions of birds, insects and animals are only recognizable from the air. Who drew the lines, and why, is something modern archaeologists can only theorize about, but current beliefs suggest that they may be part of complex agricultural calendar. The desert area was originally home to the ancient Paracas and the Nazca cultures, which preceded the Incas by more than 500 years. After my flight, I will visit the Pre-Inca desert cemetery site of Chauchilla, with 1500 year-old mummies, bones and pottery on the desert floor.

Love to all of you who are reading the blog!

No comments: