Sunday, June 22, 2008

Galapagos Islands (new photos)

Me approaching a large tortoise, under the keen eye of a naturalist guide. Me hanging out with my new friend.
Standing over a huge crater hole on Santa Cruz island.


Me climbing into a turtle shell with a little discomfort and awkwardness... me inside the turtle shell a minute later
The Galapagos Islands exceeded my grand expectations. I was pleasantly surprised to find that those islands that remain uninhabited by humans (all but 4, and there are about 30 islands if you include the smaller spits of land) are relatively unspoiled, prehistoric and fantastic. We spent most of our time on Floreana, Espanola, Seymour, and Santa Cruz.

I was part of a 6 day cruise with GAP adventures. Our boat slept 16 passengers and about 8 crew members. I met some lovely people from the UK and a family from Louisiana. In such close quarters, I was lucky to have such charming company.

I'll admit I was nearly seasick the first night since we sailed throught the whole night, but thanks to some pills and a nap, I found my sea legs without much incident.

My top 5 moments...


  1. holding a tiny baby tortoise in my hands (approx 4 inches long) photo to come

  2. watching a mother sea lion teach her 1 day old baby to move along the sand. he was so young that he still had the membrane over his eyes and his umbilical cord dragging behind

  3. reading a magazine with a sea lion on the beach. he sauntered right up to me and slept next to my towel before going back to his mother for some food

  4. skin diving with turtles and sting rays

  5. eating the most amazing ceviche on earth

After my Galapagos cruise I spent an extra two nights on Santa Cruz because I was supposed to go diving. After visiting two doctors (one generalist at the hospital and one diving doctor in a private clinic) I was officially banned from diving again for another week. I have been skin and scuba diving with a bum ear for a couple of days


and it started to catch up with me...)

No comments: